Do you want your drinking water to be a source of healing for your family? We review the best water filters and whole house systems available. Plus 8 very good reasons to filter tap water
Finding the cleanest and most nutrient dense food options is extremely important, but finding the best drinking water source can be even more important!
Some sources of water can contain hundreds of chemicals and many of these chemicals can actually be more easily absorbed from water than from food.
Tap water contains more than 300 chemicals and pollutants, according to research from the Environmental Working Group. in fact almost 100 cancer-causing chemicals have been found in tap water in the USA. These include:
- Pesticides, herbicides and other chemicals are found in most municipal water sources and even in well and other sources due to agricultural run-off and contamination. Research links these toxins to damage in the reproductive system, liver, kidneys and more.
- Heavy Metals like lead and mercury are found in some water sources and have been linked to MANY health problems.
- Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals are chemicals that mimic or interfere with the normal hormones in the body and these chemicals are being found in increasing amounts in the water supply.
- Fluoride: is a poison, check out the Material Handling Data Sheet for Sodium Fluoride for yourself. For those with an underactive thyroid, and kidney issues, it is a considerable health risk to consume fluoride.
10 Keys to a Healthy, Happy Family
Free Report Reveals: Life-Changing Insights, Answers and Simple Steps to move towards SPECTACULAR HEALTH forYour Whole Family, starting today.
Bottled water is not a good option either, for several reasons:
– Chemicals from the plastic bottle itself can leech into the water
– In most cases, the water itself is no different than tap water, containing hundreds of chemicals.
– Bottled water is expensive
– Water bottles are a major source of consumer waste each year!
* Having said that, having a bottle of water with you is ESSENTIAL to keep your hydration up through the day.
So, in a nutshell, here are Eight Very Good Reasons To Filter Your Tap Water:
- Water filtration can provide better tasting and better-smelling drinking water by removing chlorine, chemicals, pesticides, heavy metals, including lead, fluoride and bacterial contaminants.
- The purchase of a countertop filter results in a source of clean, healthy water that costs much less than expensive bottled water and reduce toxic waste in the environment.
- Water filters greatly reduce the risk of certain cancers including rectal cancer, colon cancer, and bladder cancer by removing chlorine and chlorine by-products such as Trihalomethanes (THMs) from drinking water.
- A carbon water filter can selectively remove dangerous contaminants from drinking water while retaining healthy mineral deposits that balance the pH of drinking water.
- Drinking clean, filtered water protects the body from disease and leads to overall greater health and energy.
- A countertop or under-sink water filter provides clean, healthy water for cooking, as well as drinking, with the convenience of tap water.
- Water filters reduce the risk of gastrointestinal disease by more than 80 percent by removing cryptosporidium, e-coli and giardia from drinking water.
- Drinking pure water is especially important for children. A good water filter provides the healthiest water for children’s developing immune systems.
The government’s push to fluoridate all residential water supplies has seen an explosion in the water industry as people decide for themselves whether they want to ingest this carcinogenic aluminum by-product.
Whether you believe it is a health risk or not, if your goal is to live a 100% healthy, natural life, you may want to take steps to reduce your exposure to all chemicals. This includes the fluoride in your drinking water.
And I believe that as a parent, it is our job to ensure our children grow up healthy, with our food & water sources, free of dangerous chemicals.
So let’s look at our options:
* Firstly you have your jugs which are great if you just want drinking water for a small family.
I used one of these for many years before investing in an under-sink system. I still believe this one is the best jug available on the market, plus the only one proven to both eliminate fluoride plus put the minerals back in the water for wellness.
The Bio Mineral Pot jug is made of Perspex which is as close to glass as you can get (bpa free, dioxin free, non leeching etc) because the water is also slightly alkaline it can’t eat into the plastic/perspex & break it down either.
I believe that the Bio Mineral Pot is the best on the market for what it does, within this price range.
* Counter-top and under-sink systems are necessary for safe drinking water for larger families, and if you want safe water for rinsing food and cooking.
Reverse osmosis water filter systems are the only ones proven to efficiently filter fluoride for the life of the filter, and these are the type of filters I recommend if you are on town water (containing fluoride).
I used the Wellness Filter for many years which is a really fantastic filter. It is, however, a very expensive system and the cartridges are also expensive.
The Berkley system is popular, and may do fluoride but it does not create a wellness water like some of the others. Like most reverse osmosis systems, the Berkley is designed to take the bad stuff out but not add any of the good stuff back in.
This is fine if you want to add pink Himalayan salt to your water, which is actually a brilliant source of minerals (another blog perhaps). You add just enough to give the water a soft creamy feel, without making it taste too salty.
Since reverse osmosis is devoid of minerals, this has in turn seen a strong demand for remineralising and subsequently alkalinising additions to ensure Fluoride Free, healthy water.
I have found that most reverse osmosis systems are pricey, and not very efficient. Many (like the Berkley) are drip filters so take FOREVER.
The Radiant Life 14-Stage Biocompatible Water Purification System is the ONLY one I have found which ticks all the boxes for me. I do not actually own one of these, since we are on tank water these days we only require a basic carbon under-sink system. But I do like to stay aware of the best systems out there as this is a health topic I’m passionate about.
Here’s what the Radiant Life System does:
Stage 1 – Filtration – Five Micron Sediment Pre-Filter
Stage 2 – Filtration – Internal Coconut Shell Carbon Filter
Stage 3 – Purification – Reverse Osmosis Membrane
Stage 4 – Purification – Mixed Bed De-Ionization System 1
Stage 5 – Purification – Mixed Bed De-Ionization System 2
Stage 6 – Holding Tank – standard tank holds about 3 gallons of pure water. Other tanks are available.
Stage 7 – Sterilization – 14 Watt Ultraviolet Light
Stages 8 & 9 – Restructuring – Homeopathic Memory, Molecule Coherence
Stage 10 – Reprogramming – Adding Natural Mineral Properties
Stage 11 – Reprogramming – Adding Natural Earth Properties
Stage 12 – Reprogramming – Lowering Surface Tension
Stage 13 & 14 – Remineralizing – Coconut Shell Carbon Post-Filtration and Alka-Min Ionic Remineralization
So you end up with efficient water which is:
- Alkaline Rebalanced
Optimal Wellness water!
If you are on town water, I would also suggest a shower filter. This is important because chlorine is a toxic chemical and does not belong on your skin or in your lungs! It also strips skin and hair of it’s natural oils and can cause dryness and irritation.
The Enviro Shower filter is a good one, as it is easy to install and fits all standard outlets. It will remove all the chlorine and also softens the water, which feels lovely for your skin and hair 🙂
I hope this has been helpful, and given you a good overview of the world of water filtration for wellness!